How will education after high school affect YOU?
"In discipline lies the
freedom to determine your future. Don't ever think that an
education is not an option for you"
Top 10 reasons to plan for your future (in no particular
1. Increase your income. College
graduates earn more than $1 million more in their lifetime than
high school graduates. See the Rising Cost of Not Going to College.
2. Open the door to opportunity. By obtaining a
college degree, you open up the doors to more possibilities to lead
and to map out your own path.
3. Support your family. Obtaining a
degree will allow you to support yourself and your family more
4. Pave the path for others in your life. Set
an example for your brothers or sisters, your friends, or even your
parents, to pursue their own college and career goals.
5. Be prepared for the workforce. More than 44%
of college graduates reported a close relationship between what
they studied in college and their first job.
6. College is fun! You will make lifelong
friends, do amazing things, become more confident, take on new
challenges, and learn how to think and express yourself.
7. Make educated decisions. Nearly 50% of
recent college graduates said they would have taken more care in
choosing a major or would have chosen a different major.
8. Expand your horizons. In college you gain
new experiences, may study abroad, learn about different
cultures, and meet new people.
9. Find a career you love rather than just a job to pay
the bills. By planning for a career path, you can study
subjects that you enjoy that will prepare you to be an expert in
your field, and develop a career that interests you.
10. Make a difference. To stay competitive in
the world economy, by 2025 our country will need 20 million people
to obtain some education beyond high school to meet expected job
demands. Be part of our brighter future.
, A short guide for youth
advocates, 2011, What Kids can Do, Inc.